Work your way through these tips for job interview success to be fully prepared and ready to ace your job interview. You can print this off and use it as a checklist or reminder for what you need to do.
- Analyse the job advert and make sure you understand exactly what they are looking for.
- Ensure you get a copy of the job specification, analyse it and know it.
- Make sure you understand the person specification and can match your existing skills and experience to it.
- Clean up your digital footprint by checking your social media feeds for anything that might not show you in the best light. Be sure that anything you have published on blogs or social media relating to work is up to date and relevant. Google yourself to see what comes up.
- Be sure to send an email confirming your attendance at the interview and your understanding of the details.
- Prepare and memorise a key statement that will form your core messaging during the interview.
- Go through your resume/CV and question every part of it.
- Research the organization, take notes and prepare questions.
- Contact the interviewer with questions regarding the interview format if you need to.
Practice, practice, practice
- Practice answering questions that could be asked.
- Prepare questions for the interview.
- Make sure your skills are up to date and brush them up if practical.
- Practice doing numeric and verbal reasoning tests if they are going to form part of the interview.
- Prepare and practice any presentations you might be required to do.
- Make sure you have recently had a haircut.
- Know where the interview is and how you are going to get there.
- If you can, get along to the workplace and understand what sort of people work there and what sort of clothes they wear.
- Choose your clothes in advance, try them on and make sure they are clean and ready for the interview.
- Have notes, paperwork and any work and pens ready.
- Be sure to take some exercise to make sure you are generally fit. Importantly, this will reduce nerves and make you feel brighter.
On the day
- Get a good night’s sleep before the interview.
- Arrive on time.
- Don’t smell of smoke, food, or body odour.
- Maintain good eye contact with the interviewer(s).
- Ensure your body language is open.
- Answer all the questions positively.
- Answer all the questions relevantly.
- Ask and know why they wanted to interview you.
- Ask and understand if they are unsure about you or your suitability for the role.
- Send an email thanking them for meeting and stressing your interest in the role or not.
If you are unsure about any of these tips for job interview success, dig further into one of the many articles on this site.